Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Vintage flowers clock

Hi everyone! 

Today I want to show you one of my first creations embellished with decorative painting. I approached this technique totally by chance: I was going around a Joann store with a 40% off coupon and sparkling eyes (the two things usually happen together!) looking for something worth spending such a fantastic gift, when I was attracted by the beautiful cover page of Donna Dewberry’s Complete book of One-Stroke Painting (full review coming soon).

I automatically took the book in my hands and started browsing through it. Having never painted before, I was extremely intimidated by the complex designs, but the text promised that even people who never held a brush in their hands before, would be able to make gorgeous blooms with only a little practice. Furthermore, glancing through the instructions I realized they just looked incredibly easy, so I decided to give it a chance. 

Once I got home, I started practicing. It took a bit of trial and error, but I was soon able to paint my first flowers…but let’s now (finally) talk about the creation! It’s an MDF clock I found at a hobby fair, brutally thrown in the sale section with other old and broken merchandize. Even if it didn’t look that nice at first, I saw a lot of potential in this 3€ piece, so I decided to buy it.

Once I got home (ok, I confess…about a year later) I started to work. I first used some acrylic gesso (a white thick acrylic  primer)  to coat the raw surface. When it dried, I sanded and painted the clock with a light cream acrylic color, before using a sponge to apply a very thin layer of liquid bitumen (bee careful, as this is very smelly, so make sure you open your windows when using it). 2 hours later (drying time), I decorated the sides, front and back of the piece with blooms and leaves before applying 2 hands of sealer to protect my creation… 

And here it is, my favourite vintage timekeeping piece!

I hope you enjoy the pictures…and have a lovely day!



 
P.s. If you don’t want to miss any crafty project, remember to follow the blog by clicking on the “join this site” button in the right column ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment