Friday, November 29, 2013

Decoupaged Christmas ornaments

Hi everyone! 

Today I want to show you some Christmas ornaments I have been making lately, using decoupage mulberry paper. I love the versatility of this technique: you can get a totally different look just by changing the image and some other small details.

To create these spheres you will need:
  • Plexiglass spheres (glass ones are good as well, I use plexiglass because they can be opened in half, so you can be attaching the paper on the inside, as I did for the ornaments in picture 6 and 7)
  • Decoupage glue (I think Mod Podge would be ok)
  • Mulberry paper with Christmas prints
  • Clear acrylic sealer 
  • Decorations (ribbons, pine cones, berries, flowers...) 
  • For sphere in pictures 1 to 5 ONLY, you will also need plain mulberry paper (without any prints, I used a cream color) 
  • For sphere in pictures 6 and 7 ONLY, you will also need: glass primer, fake snow paste
Here you can see a tutorial (my very first tutorial, yayyy!!! :-) for creating your own ornaments. It is in Italian, but just below the box, I wrote full instructions in English :-).


Sphere 1 (pictures 1 to 5):

First of all, I tore some plain mulberry paper, in order to get small pieces with uneven borders. I then used decoupage glue to stick them to the sphere until the entire surface was covered.

Once dry, I glued an image printed on mulberry paper (which I got from a Calambour decoupage sheet I found on Nom de Plume website). I then let the sphere dry and added a coat of acrylic sealer.

To further embellish the creation, I used hot glue to attach some ribbons, bows and flowers (you can find instructions on how to make the crocheted flower here).

Sphere 2 (pictures 6-7):

First of all, I used decoupage glue to attach some decorated mulberry paper, but this time I worked on the inside of the sphere: I opened the ball and attached the decoration on the two separate halves, keeping the printed side facing the plexiglass surface (I used images that would cover all the space, but you can cut some smaller prints and eventually add an extra layer of plain paper on top).

I then let the sphere dry and added a coat of acrylic sealer. I later painted the surface with cream acrylics, in order to make the design more opaque, so that the colors would be more brilliant.

After closing the ornament, I covered the borders with glass primer and brushed some white snow paste, before sealing everything with clear acrylic sealer.

To further embellish the creation, I used hot glue to attach some ribbons, bows and pine cones. 

Here are some pictures of my tree ornaments. I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. Have fun and come back soon!


Featured on:


My favorite parties: The Shabby Creek Cottage - Dwellings - From my front porch to yours - The Charm of Home - Between Naps on the Porch - Green Willow Pond - Ivy and Elephants - Coastal Charm - A Stroll Thru Life - Cozy Little House - Stone Gable - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Knick of Time - No Minimalist Here - The Brambleberry Cottage - Common Ground - French Country Cottage - Its so Very Cheri - Rain on a Tin Roof - The Dedicated House








P.s. If you don’t want to miss any crafty project, remember to follow the blog by clicking on the “join this site” button in the right column ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment